Tuesday 1 January 2013

Mountains Of Mashed Potatoes

I woke up at 6am yesterday (read: wiener dog woke me up at 6am) to peel about 5lbs of potatoes to go in the crockpot for a New Years Eve potluck with friends. I had never done potatoes in the crockpot before so I kept it nice and simple:


Crockpot Mashed Potatoes

 

Ingredients

  • 5lbs potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • milk
  • salt & pepper
  • cream cheese
  • sour cream

Directions

Put the potatoes in the crockpot with the water and broth. Cook on high for about 4.5 hours. Remove the potatoes from the crockpot and strain the excess liquid. Return the potatoes to the crockpot and mash. At this point, add in milk, sour cream or cream cheese as desired. I didn't measure, but I didn't use a lot of any of these. I'm sure you could make some really rich, buttery potatoes though! These would be very easy to make ahead and reheat as well.

So anyways, I had committed to this 5lbs of potatoes and they were already cooking by 7am. Jason woke up around 11am with a horrible cold and cough. As the day wore on, I could feel myself breaking down with the same virus. For those of you who know Jason and I, this is a very common occurrence for New Years Eve. Last year we were stuck in a hotel room in Jasper with the stomach flu to ring in the new year. We made the call to not attend the potluck as we didn't want to spread this festive cold onto our friends. This meant we were stuck with a whole lot of mashed potatoes at the end of the day! We got creative and put a blob in the waffle maker for a hash brown. We call it the potatoe snowflake and it tasted great with ketchup and made the kitchen smell like McDonalds:

What else can you do with leftover mashed potato? I was thinking there might be some shepherds pie in our future.

1 comment: